Our ‘Compassionate School’ Policy is founded on these underlying principles:
- We are non-judgemental and have unconditional positive regard for young people.
- We are compassionate towards young people and the staff who support them.
- Our approaches are child centred and personalised.
- We use a scientific approach to understanding why the person behaves in the way that they do (function).
- Support is well planned, implemented and monitored.
- Our interventions are evidenced based - we collect hard and soft data and use it to inform how we support young people, as well as information from professionals and others.
- We use strategies that are pro-active and reactive and those that promote resilience for young people.
We believe that a pupil who is motivated, encouraged and made to feel worthwhile, and given the appropriate specialist support, will thrive.
Our compassion model
How we teach - Compassionate Teaching Principles
- Always empower never disempower
- Provide unconditional positive regard
- Maintain high expecations
- Check assumptions, observe and question
- Be a relationship coach
- Provide guided opportunities for helpful participation
- Use person centred strategies
What we teach - A Compassionate Curriculum
- Strategy 1
Safety, connection and assurance of wellbeing
- Strategy 2
Emotional and behavioural self regulation
- Strategy 3
Competency of social and personal skills and academic success